Tuesday, May 10, 2011

End Of The Year Student Reward Ribbons

At the end of the school year students love to be rewarded for their hard work. These ribbons are an easy and affordable way to showcase each childs talent.

Items needed:
White cardstock
Various prints of 5/8 inch ribbon
Safety Pins
Glue
Circle Die Cut or punch
Color Printer


To make these ribbons:
1. I first set up a template on Microsoft word. On my template I inserted 2" circles and then typed what the award was for, centering the words in the circle. I then added a small clipart picture from the windows clipboard to go with each theme. I printed my sheet, cut out my circles, and set them aside.


2. I cut 2.5" circles out of construction paper that coordinated with my ribbons and set them aside.

3. I then cut 13 (Thirteen) 2" and two 3.5" strips with a bias edge from each of my ribbons.

4. I folded 12 (Twelve) of my 2" ribbons in half and glued the ends together just slightly askew. Save one!

5. Once the ribbons were dry, I glued them onto my 2.5" inch construction paper circles slightly over lapping as I went around the edge. I glued the 3.5" strips to form a V at the bottom of the award.

6. After the ribbons were dry I glued my award circle on top of the ribbon circle and turned it over.

7. I placed my safety pin on the back and glued my last 2" strip across to hold it in place.
 You can buy awards similar to these at party stores and dollar stores but the price can add up if you are purchasing for an entire class. With these ribbons you can personalize them to a specific student or a specific talent. I have come up with the following sayings:
1. Class Clown
2. Awesome Artist
3. Song Bird
4. Perfect Attendance
5. Remarkable Reader
6. Math Whiz
7. Grammar Genius
8. Superb Speller
9. Stunning Science Skills
10. Fantastic Listener
11. Awesome Handwriting
12. Best Behavior
13. Wonderful Writer
14. Social Studies Star

These awards can literally be made for pennies each.
Cheapest places I have found to buy these supplies:
The dollar bins at Michael's Crafts has some cute 5/8" x 3 yards print ribbons. Good deal for a buck!
The Dollar Tree sells packs of multi sized safety pins for $1.
Walmart sells 8.5" x 11" white cardstock paper 150 sheet packs for less than $5.
Construction paper seems to sell for the same price everywhere.
I ALWAYS stock up on glue sticks and plain old Elmers when Walmart is having their back to school sale.

If you would like me to email you the template I have created just leave me a comment with your email address. DON"T WORRY my comments are set to private and I will not save or share your email address.
Thanks!